Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Reverse Works for Me Wednesday


Today, Shannon is hosting a twist on her weekly WFMW. Today's theme is what does not work for me. I'm late in posting this, but I'm desperate for a solution to this, so I thought I'd see if anyone has some advice.
I love my wedding ring, but I can't wear it. The problem started after we had been married for six years, so I don't understand what happened. If I wear it, I get a red ring burn on my finger that grows and spreads out over my hand. It starts to chap, crack and even bleed.
My grandma suggested painting clear fingernail polish along the inside and that helped for a little bit, but not long. I've cleaned it, had it professionally cleaned, etc.
Any ideas?


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My ring has been doing this, too! After 7 years of marriage. I'm perplexed and will be stalking the comments for suggestions. By the way, you don't know me :)

s

Kinslee said...

You may have a gold allergy that has built up over time. You could go to a jewelry store called Lee Reed's if you know where that is. It may also have some cleaning chemicals lodged in the pockets in the gold.

If you have the gold allergy you can have the inside Rhodium plated it should cost around $25.

I called my in-laws (they own Pounders Jewelry in Spokane) said that this is a very common problem. They also said that they would be happy to talk to you about it if you want to call them.

Let me know if you have anymore questions happy to help

Anonymous said...

You could be getting a rash from the handsoap or detergent you are using getting caught under the band. You may also need the ring upsized so it doesn't rub so much.

Alyce said...

It is possible that you are having an allergic reaction to the nickle that is in the ring. See a dermotologist to find out!!
Blessings~
alyce

andreawilliams said...

I have the same problem too! I treod the nail polish and the Rhodium plating and nothing has helped!! Hopefully someone knows the answer!

Alyce said...

Hi Becky..
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog..I've since made a new post. (so go back, hahah) Its not top priority so I don't post very often. But I do love comments!
Also..how do you get your name in that pretty signature at then end of your posts?
Alyce

LadyCiani said...

I second the nickel allergy. Knowing I have skin problems, we invested in platinum rings.

Nickel is commonly added to both yellow and white gold - in fact, a jeweler told me the nickel is what turns white gold "white" - it is basically diluted with the nickel.

Since you say the fingernail polish helped you, I would say that is a strong indication that you have a nickel allergy.

Annee said...

The same thing happens to me from time to time. I figured it is from not rinsing my hands good enough.. detergent or cleaners get stuck under there and irritate my skin. I would try wearing it again but be extra careful about washing and rinsing and drying your hands.

Tobie said...

Mine started doing that about a year after we got married. I finally figured out it was water/soap being trapped under it when I washed my hands and not drying good under my rings. Now, I slide my rings up every time I dry my hands, wipe my finger good and dry, then slide them back. It solved the problem for me! Good luck!