As I read the chapter, two questions the author asked jumped out at me:
1. Why do you think it is important to know Him as Creator?
2. What role has God had in your life?
Drowning out the noisy gym, I let my mind chew on these questions for awhile. Why is it important to remember He is the Creator? I asked myself. And I wondered if someone asked, What role has God played in your life? how I would answer.
I opened up my new notebook and put my favorite pen to work brainstorming. Here are some of my disorganized thoughts on these two questions:
- Knowing Him as Creator, reminds me of His power. The same One who created stars so large I cannot fathom them, and who's very fingerprints are all over the tiniest of cells my eyes cannot even see, is the same One who knows me AND He is knowable. Amazing! This knowledge leads to worship and gratitude.
- Knowing Him as Creator leads to humility. I am reminded that I am created, He is my Creator, therefore I submit to Him, to His will, His ways, and have no right to dictate how things should be. (Job 38) I don't even know enough to know how He does the simplest of things in creation, how can I then tell Him how to run my life?
- Knowing Him as Creator, reminds me that He is worthy of my trust. As my eyes sees all that He has made around me, and as I'm reminded of how mighty He is, how powerful that He could speak life into existence, I'm no longer anxious or afraid. I am His.
And how would I respond to what role God has played in my life? Well....that would take a very long book to write. : ) But here is a shorthand list:
- He had a plan for me, my life, my purpose, and my salvation before the foundation of the Earth.
- He created me. Perfectly. Even with my imperfections. He allowed my left eye to be small and blind for a purpose and my body, my personality, my mind, everything to be formed according to those plans and purposes He had for me before time began.
- He called me and accepted my little girl invitation to come into my life and be my Savior.
- He directed my life, but gave me free will to decide to love and follow Him.
- He forgave me every time I strayed, and welcomed me back with open arms. (Still does)
- Allowed trials, hard things to draw me to a deeper relationship with Him, more reliance on Him, a stronger character, and an ability to comfort and minister to other people in a way I would never have been able to do if I hadn't been there myself. During all of it, He carried me and comforted me.
- He healed my broken heart and made me whole again
- He gave me hope, purpose, and eternity.
- He filled me with peace that is unexplainable and completely outside of the circumstances in my life.
- He loves me with a love that NO ONE and NO THING can ever take away from me.
- He is my everything, my very reason for existing.
Now it's your turn. Because meditating on these two questions blessed me so much this week, I wanted to deviate from my regular devotion format and encourage you to contemplate these questions yourself this week. Feel free to use the comment section to do some brainstorming and sharing of your own. It would be awesome for me to read what your thinking about our Creator.