Saturday, February 14, 2009

Romance

Wow, King Charming earned some major brownie points this week. Because of work, we won't be able to spend Valentine's Day together, so we went out Thursday night to celebrate instead.

The evening began by him asking me to tell him my favorite color. I laughed and said, "You know it is 'sunset' why? Then he handed me a dozen roses the color of the sunset. He said he saw them and knew they were for me.


I keep looking at them sitting on the table. They are that beautiful, sunset orange, pink, red that I can never describe but that makes me smile so much. I've never had flowers make me so happy. : )



Then we put the kids all to bed, and Grandma stayed with them while we went out for a real, grown-up date. He took me to a quaint little wine bar downtown, and he doesn't even like wine. We sat at a candle-lit table and talked for a few hours while I enjoyed the wine, and he enjoyed watching me have a good time. The owner was a sweet, English woman, who didn't make me feel dumb for being really clueless about wine. I discovered I'm a fan of Riesling and Port with chocolate dessert. Yummy! : )

It was just an unexpected, memory making night. I love my husband so much. I love the life we have together. I don't ever want to take that for granted.

Last week we rented Fireproof from Netflix and it is a movie that has stuck with us both. Part of our conversation Thursday night was about Fireproof and some of the things we've thought about after watching the movie. Kirk Cameron (who you already know I have a soft-spot for) is the main character in this movie. It is movie that a church in the south (the same one that made Facing the Giants) made for about $500,000, but it ended up making over 33 million in the movie theaters. I believe the success comes from the amazing message about how special marriage really is. All of the actors were unpaid volunteers and it definitely is a low budget movie, so it took us both about 20 minutes to get over being critical of its low budget quality, but after that we were sucked into the story and so moved by it. I can't recommend it highly enough.

There is a part in the movie where Kirk Cameron's character is encouraged to study his wife again, like he did before they were married. I think that is the line that has stuck with me the most. I want to start studying King Charming again, to know him even more, and to learn how to love him even better and deeper. (If that is possible)

Marriage is such a beautiful reminder of the Greatest Romance of all- the love Jesus showed when he was nailed on that cross for you and me. I hope you all have a sweet, sweet Valentine's Day loving and being loved. Don't forget Jesus, the Lover of your soul, today, and if you have never given your life to Him or accepted His amazing Love Gift, don't let any more time go by before you do. If you have any questions about Him, I don't have all the answers, but I would love to try to answer those for you in a non-judgmental way. My email address is everydaybecky at gmail dot com.

Happy Valentine's Day!

By the way...did I mention I got flowers???? : ) : ) : )



Love,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As soon as I saw the roses in the picture when your post came up, before even reading it, I thought to myself, "Aw, he got her sunset roses!" How incredibly sweet!!

We haven't seen Fireproof yet but it has been recommended to us numerous times so we have talked about renting it tonight to watch after the kids go to bed. I like that thought of studying your mate. I agree we need to keep putting effort and thought into our mates even if we are now busy with kids and such.

Happy V-day!

Kim said...

What a sweet & thoughtful husband you have. I love your favorite color, sunset, and your flowers are beautiful. Sounds like you had a wonderful V-Day.

Anonymous said...

I hope to see Fireproof soon. I live in England, so its not so accessible, but my brother-in-law gave us the book that goes with it when we were in the US seeing family two weeks ago. I love my husband with all my heart, too and love your comments about the number one person in my life, Jesus. Thanks for your post. Glad you got those roses that are so great for you. We didn't get to have a romantic meal or time together, but he got me a great!!! card and a heart full of Reece's Pieces (which I love) and which he had to plan in advance for, because he had to have bought them while we were in the US. No Reece's Pieces in the UK.

Thanks again for your post today.
Take care,
Becky

P.S. Yes, your blog first caught my attention because your name is the same as mine. :-)

Becky Avella said...

Becky,

I'm so glad you found my blog! It sounds like we have more in common than just our names- fans of Reeces Pieces, great husbands, and a love for Jesus. : )

It made me smile thinking about your husband stocking up on your favorite candy before he left the U.S. How thoughtful! Enjoy your candy!

Love,
The "Other" Becky : )

Rae said...

Beck--I was all misty before I even read this post! The roses are beautiful and KC did a great job! Lucky girl!
Love,
Rae
PS--I got two bouquets because A forgot which were my faves! :)