Tuesday, March 11, 2008

More on the Thought of the Day

(For an update on our baby and to see ultrasound photos click here. We need your input on the Cutie Pie Monster Truck debate.)

Earlier today, I posted “The Thought of the Day.” I have been thinking about this all day and wanted to add a little of my own thoughts to Lysa’s thoughts.

I was attracted to Lysa’s post today because it is a lesson that I am slowly beginning to understand.

Throughout my lifetime, I have been an overachiever. I was crushed my junior year of High School when I received an A- that ruined my perfect GPA. I was the student who always wanted to know about extra credit and was fiercely competitive with Philip House, who by the way maintained his 4.0 and went on to attend Oxford University.

I transferred that perfectionism to my Christianity. I knew intellectually the concept of grace, but I had not embraced it for myself. I wanted to be significant and special and to do great things for Jesus. I quickly became frustrated with my inability to maintain perfection.

Recently, I listened to a Jon Courson sermon that clarified this issue for me. He said that it isn’t about imitation, but impartation. We aren’t asked to “do” in our own strength. When we allow Him, Jesus comes into our hearts, imparts Himself, and gives us the ability to do what He asks of us. We just need to follow where He leads.

I know now that when I become aware of my imperfections and my failures, it is not a time to run and hide. It is not a time to beat myself up and wallow in discouragement. It is simply a red flag that says, “Run to Jesus.” When I run out of me, it just means I need more of Him.

Perfectionism lies to us and tells us we can be self-sufficient. Being the good little religious girl can deceive us into believing we are OK with God when we are really a million miles away from Him.

I also don’t want to glorify myself. I don’t want people saying, “What a good person Becky is!” I want people to look at my life and say, “Wow. I need Jesus, too.”


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, I finally got to read your blog for today. Thanks for always making my day. Mom

Theresa said...

GREAT Post. The last line is so powerful. Hi Becky. I have been sent to you...by guess who? God! (through a very blessed woman.)

A friend complimented me on how inspiring I am. I told her thank you but it's not me...it's HIM.

I look forward to reading more of your blog. Theresa