Monday, May 12, 2008

Have You Ever Played This?

Every Mother's Day, Pat's dad and his wife, Nancy, spoil all of the mothers by taking us to an amazing brunch. I look forward to this meal all year long.

Here is a picture of my girls with their cousin Rachel after the meal. : ) We all felt a little sluggish after the feast:


With such full bellies, it is tradition to spend the afternoon playing Swing Golf in Grandma and Grandpa's backyard. Have you ever played it? It is SO MUCH fun! I highly recommend it for family fun. (Even though this year I had to face the sad fact that I'm really no good at it at all!)

It's also known as Blongo Ball, Redneck Rodeo, Swing Golf, Ladder Ball, etc. (See bottom of the post for its many, many names) : ) This year there was even an official double elimination tournament, and for the first year, Karissa was old enough to participate:

Getting tips from Grandpa Joe and Cousin Ross:



Because she was the youngest player, she got to be a tad bit closer to the poles.

She did a little mambo dance before every throw, and it seemed to work. : )



In the background, you can hear one of the teenagers saying, "I'm not going to cut her any slack, because she is good!" You can also see my mom up against the fence.

This Mother's Day was especially fun because my mom was here visiting. I think it has been about 10 years since Mom and I have spent Mother's Day together. I'll do another post later about the fun the two of us had while she was here this weekend.

The Spectators:

Karissa's "Midgets" team did really well and so did my mom's "Champs" team, but poor Mary got stuck with me as a teammate, so the "Mean Mamas" didn't fair so well. : )

The winners of the tournament were Joe and Nancy- "The Senior Citizens." We all think it was because they had home field advantage!

If you are interested in finding a swing golf, blongo ball, redneck rodeo, whatever-you-want-to call it, for yourself, we found ours at Costco last year. Joe and Nancy got theirs at a Flea Market in Arizona this winter. This website has instructions on how to make your own if you are so inclined and has the official rules. Have fun!

A Game of Many Names..... : ) Whatever it's called, it's fun.

Norwegian Horseshoes, Ladder Golf, Snakes, Hillbilly Golf, Polish Golf, Horseballs, Tower Ball, Bolo Golf, Gladiator, Bola, Snake Toss, BlongoBall, Ladder Toss, Bolo, Rodeo Golf, Dingle Balls, Bolo Polo, Cowboy Golf, Redneck Golf, Pocca Bolo, The Snake Game, Willy Ball, Ladder Ball, Slither, Zing-Ball, Snakes & Ladders, Hillbilly Horseshoes, Flingy Ball, Top Toss, Norwegian Golf, Monkey Bars Golf, Swedish Golf, Polish Horsehoes, Dandy Golf, Montana Golf, Lasso Golf, Australian Horseshoes, Ladder Game, Monkey Balls, Rattlerail Toss, Golfball Horseshoes, Arizona Golf Balls, Spin-It, Ball Dangle, Bolo Ball, Poor Mans Golf, Bolo Toss, even Testicle Toss!


Love,

7 comments:

Kinslee said...

We like that game in our family too. It looks like you all had a really fun Mother's day.

The picture of the stuffed princesses was too cute.

The Jernigan Family said...

Jeramy's mom and dad have that game too..it is addicting! I can hear your mom's laugh in the background...ah I miss you guys!

Alyce said...

Someone brought that to our church picnic last summer. I didn't get to play it though..it did look like fun..but looked dangerous for my wild girls..hahaha..
Looking forward to hearing about your visit w/ your mom..my 10 years..that is a long time!!!
Alyce

Katy said...

It looks like you guys had so much fun! I'm glad you got to spend the day with your Mom too. This is probably the first in ten years that I haven't seen my Mom on Mother's day. It was sad for me, but I got to see her the day before so it was okay. I'm going to have to look into that game. Looks like a blast!

Jamie said...

My family played this at our family reunion and I'm sure when they get together they still do (we are too far away). They all had a blast playing! I think I was too busy chasing my kiddos around! What a great way to spend Mother's Day!

Tanya said...

We love playing that game in the summer - we it Rack Your Balls around here :) Hahaha

Anonymous said...

Where do you get all your infomation! It was the greatest weekend ever.  Thanks, Mom