Monday, October 6, 2008

New Mom Gear


My baby is seven weeks old and there have been a few baby items I wouldn't want to be without. I thought I'd share them for those of you who have baby showers coming up or are about to become new moms yourselves.

1. Booby Tubes- Great name, huh? These have helped so much with soreness from nursing.





2. Boppy Portable Baby Swing- This was a gift from my mom and Grandma. I thought I needed a full size swing, but now I wouldn't trade the portable one. It is so easy to fold up and take anywhere in the house or to take with me when I go visiting. Prince Charming sleeps in it often when I'm at my friend's house. : ) It means I actually get to eat lunch and watch HGTV. : )





3. The nursing cover I made. It makes breastfeeding in public so easy. I don't have to be housebound at feeding time.




4. My nursing bracelet that Daiquiri made me. It helps me remember what side I need to start on when I nurse. I slide it off and on to the next wrist right before I unhook my bra. The next time I start on that side and slip it on to the other wrist. It is elastic so it slides on and off easily. It is small and neutral so it looks nice with whatever I am wearing. Thanks, Daq!


5. Shannon's flannel burp clothes. They are the perfect size and are cute, too. I made a bunch before my baby was born and I love them.

6. My Breast Friend Nursing Pillow: Terrible name, I know, but works great! This might just be personal preference, but I like this pillow much better than the Boppy one I had for the girls. It has an adjustable belt that buckles around your waste so it doesn't slip around and it positions my baby perfectly for feeding. It is the same price as a Boppy, but is much softer and the outer cover zips off so you can wash it in the wash.


There you have it! These work for me.

To see what is working for other bloggers stop by Works For Me Wednesday at Rocks in my Dryer.
You can see my past WFMW posts here.
** By the way- I'm going to be doing a book club on my Fitness blog using a devotional called Faithfully Fit. If any of you new moms have baby weight to lose and want to support each other and pray for one another, I'd love to have you join me. You can click here to read about it.

14 comments:

Shanda said...

Hi Becky!
We went to NNU together and I talked with you at She Speaks in 2007. I came across your blog through comments you left at Lysa TerKeurst's blog... hope you don't mind me checking in. Congratulations on your new arrival!
I loved today's post... I have girl #2 due in December and even though I've "been there done that" it still is a little overwhelming. Thanks again for sharing your New Mom Gear!

Hope you don't mind if I stick around... I've enjoyed reading your posts!

shanda doughman

Becky Avella said...

Shanda,

Of course you can stick around! I'm so glad to reconnect with you. I hope you loved She Speaks as much as I did. Congratulations on your new baby. I can't wait to here more about him or her in December. Thanks for your sweet comment. It made my night. : )

: ) Becky

Becky Avella said...

OK..the teacher in me has to correct my comment above. It should have been "hear" instead of "here." Geesh! : ) ~ Becky

Nikki said...

Wonderful tips! I've never heard of the Booby Tubes before. But if I have a fifth child, I will definitely seek those out! And a portable baby swing? How VERY smart! It seems like baby stuff is so bulky and big. But something portable would be much nicer. :) I love the nursing cover you made. And I especially love the nursing bracelet idea. Then there's less fear of lop-sidedness since I somehow tend to prefer nursing on the left. I'm glad you're nursing your babies. It's definitely the best choice. :)

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

ohhh I so miss those days...my baby is almost 4!

Congrats!

Zion said...

Congratulations! Your baby is so precious, that picture is great. I love the earth mama angel baby, I even became an affiliate when I started blogging.

Anonymous said...

I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful these recommendations are. My friend's baby is due in February and I have been struggling to find/make her something special for when baby arrives. Thank you for sharing!!

MediMonsters said...

Great items. So many new things since I had my last almost 10yrs ago. Congrats on your new baby boy.

Chel said...

Great gear, I know some new mom's I will pass your blog along. :-)
Enjoy, as you know, time flies by! Mine are 15 and 9. ARG!!
Chel

mom_of2boys said...

What great items! My portable swing came in handy on many occasions. I'll have to keep these items in mind next time I go baby shower shopping!

Thanks for sharing.

The Jernigan Family said...

Don't forget my electric snot sucker...I told my doctor if I had to go to a deserted island with just one baby item...it would be this....lol..

Anonymous said...

I need a bracelet! I'm constantly feeling my boobs to see which one is fuller haha. I think the bracelet would be great!

Becky Avella said...

Dani,
My friend sells those bracelets for only $10. They really are great. You can just click on the link to see how to order one. She wraps them really cute w/ directions for anyone who wants to give one as a shower gift.

Anonymous said...

I am a first time mom and my little girl is due in about 2 weeks. I loved your suggestions and actually went and ordered the booby tubes. They sound great!! Would love to hear of anything else you recommend...

Also, your "little prince" is beautiful!