Wednesday, May 26, 2010

IT Won't Depart from Them- A New Look at Proverbs 22:6


As moms, many of us carry a certain amount of burden for the spiritual condition and future of our kids.

I think about it often. I wonder, Will my kids have their own faith? Will they stay faithful to Jesus after they grow up? Am I doing everything I can to make sure that happens?

Sometimes it is scary. What if I'm doing it all wrong?

There is a verse in the Bible that says, "Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it" (Proverbs 22:6 NKJV).

That can be a comforting verse, or it can add guilt if your child grows up and does depart from it. Then the question changes to What did I do wrong?

Ravi Zacharias was on my car radio the other day teaching on parenthood. He discussed Proverbs 22:6 and said in the original language the verse could lend itself more to Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old it will not depart from him.

That interpretation was comforting to me because I was reminded ultimately my children are responsible for their own relationship with the Lord, as we all are.

I can't do it wrong because it isn't up to me. My children have freewill and all that I am trying to pour into them will not depart from them when they are old. It will be in their hearts to draw from as they live out their own faith.

If they stray, they will be haunted by it until they return to Truth. It won't depart from them.

My dream for my kids is that they will continue in the faith and will not have to ever know the emptiness of a life without purpose, a life without hope, a life without true love, a life without Jesus. That they will be rescued from sin and will spend Eternity in Heaven with Him.

I'm thankful that He will not let go of them. And I'm thankful for their beautiful childlike faith right now, a faith that is so strong despite my failures and successes as their mom.

It is all their own.

It will always be their own.

6 comments:

Jill said...

Thanks for sharing the insight!! As a Mom, a homeschooling one too, I so understand what you are saying - there's always that worry and fear, but Ravi's words do give me some peace as well! Thanks, Jill

Kimberly said...

There are some verses in Scripture that are promises, and there are some that are general truths. I believe this one to be a general truth--generally speaking, if you train up a child in the way they should go, they will not depart from it. But there are always exceptions. The OT also has provisions for how to handle a rebellious child, so obviously, there are SOME who depart from it.

Like you said, our kids have responsibility for their own choices. We must walk each day seeking the Lord for how we parent these kids, then trust Him to preserve them in their faith.

LifeAtTheCircus.com said...

I too have heard some good sermons on this passage and on the often misinterpretation of it. Very enlightening and encouraging.

Continue to press on on and teach and mold your children. Your doing a great job!

Avri221lE_Pryce1 said...

閒來無聊逛逛blog~~跟您打聲招呼~~.............................................

Rachel B said...

Great words, Becky. Thanks for sharing this. There is so much pressure on us moms to do it "perfectly." I am reminded that our Heavenly Father is the only perfect parent...and He will fill in the gaps where we fail.

I am a prime example of IT not departing from me...even when I tried to walk away. God's Word was in my heart and it did not depart from me. It drew me back to Him. I am grateful for what I was taught as a young girl.

Keep up the good work, Becky!

佩GailBohanan1蓉 said...

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. ....................................................