Sunday, August 10, 2008

I Finished the Never-Ending Dress! : )

Only 4 days to go! I cannot believe it! I actually thought I might be in labor last night. I even went for a walk through the neighborhood at 1:00 AM, but it was a false alarm or pre-labor or something. Probably just wishful thinking! : )

I'm frantically working through my to-do list hoping to get it all done before Thursday....only 16 items left to check off. : ) (And that doesn't include King Charming's list) Oh the joy of the nesting instinct!

My to-do list included half-done projects I knew would never get done if I didn't finish them before our life became newborn centered. One of those projects was what I have been calling the Never-Ending dress.

Last spring, I was inspired by Amber's sewing project and thought, "I think I can do that!" I found the pattern and promised Princess #2 a twirly party dress for her birthday party...(in April) : )

Well, poor little Princess watched her birthday come and go with no dress. Once I finally finished it, I realized, "I don't know how to hem!" I tried to learn from the Internet, searched for a tutorial somewhere, but I just couldn't figure it out. When my mom came to visit for my baby shower, I made her sit down and teach me. "That's easy!" I thought.
It was an easy stitch, but the twirly party dress had about four yards of fabric around the bottom and hemming it by hand was sloooooowwwwww going. It is so amateur and looks homemade. I really don't think sewing clothes is something you can teach yourself off the Internet. (Mrs. MK I sure wish you could come over and teach me. I could be your sewing apprentice) : )

Amateur or not, it's done, and my little princess is so happy! She woke up Friday morning to her dress done and you can see from the pictures below that she likes it:









When I had her try it on, I said, "It took me so long, I hope it still fits you."

Her response?

"Yeah because it took you two or three or four years to finish it and I'm bigger now!"

Hey! : )

5 comments:

Amber G. said...

It looks great, Becky! :0) I love it in the pink. I actually made a second one just like Jo's for her friend's birthday and it was SOOOO much easier and faster the second time around... I figure by the time I attempt a third dress, I might actually get it finished in the amount of time the pattern suggests! :0)

Wow, only four more days until you meet your little guy -- how exciting!!!

Amber

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

It is beautiful, and so very twirly! I'm glad youre feeling the motivation to complete these tasks! It will also be good that she feel special at this time of focus turning away from the other children onto the new baby. :)

God bless you this week!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Always feels good to cross something off that to-do list. It is beautiful. I am impressed. I couldn't sew like that, so nicely done. :-) Good luck with the rest of your projects... can't wait to read the good news and see the pictures of your baby boy!

Katy said...

Becky, that is so cute! Wow, i'm impressed! I am not good at sewing at all! So my nesting urge this week. Finish my bedroom that has been partially stripped of walpaper for a year! I did it yesterday. Spent 7 hours stripping wall paper then two and a half painting! I have two walls to go! I will share pics on my blog when I'm done! It looks great, but my back kills!!!!!!!!!!

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Adorable! The dress and the one wearing it!