Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Creation-Deprivation Disorder

Creation-Deprivation Disorder
That's what I've got. 

And I've diagnosed my family with the disorder, too. 

I don't believe we were created to be so sedentary or confined, and I've craved more interaction with nature, but I haven't known how to make it happen.  

I've recently begun reading this book, hoping it will inspire me, so I can inspire us:  

 

The author labels this generation's lack of being outside as "Nature-Deficit Disorder" but I prefer to call it "Creation-Deprivation Disorder".  I'm craving being surrounded by creation so I can know the Creator better and to worship Him as I see Him in what He has made.  I want that for my kids, too.  

Today, I was reading the book and making excuses about it being too cold outside, when I heard the sound of a Disney movie trickling down the stairs.  I decided Prince Charming and I needed an adventure, so I bundled us up and got on my bike and left our neighborhood.  

Thankfully, it doesn't take long for us to get away from our concrete subdivision.  First we said hello to some of our animal friends- 



Then we stopped at a dried out creek bed on the edge of our neighborhood and played and explored, romped, and threw lots of rocks:




It was gray and cold.  The only color was Prince Charming's jacket.  But it was the perfect backdrop for imagination. 

We had a lot of fun on our adventure! 


Well...at least for awhile. 
Then the wimp came back out in us.  : ) 



It's been about three days that I've been very intentional about getting myself outside and encouraging the kids to do it, too, and I can't believe how great I feel from the walks and bike rides.  They've left me hungry for more.   

When the girls came home from school I showed them this website and sent them outside to build their own Fairy House. 



They are mid-construction, so I'll save the update on their progress for another post.  They said I could share the end result as long as I reminded you all not to scare off the fairies.  : ) 

Here's to more adventures to come!  

Q4U-  Do you feel like you or your kids are creation deprived? 



2 comments:

Sally Jo said...

Yay for you! I find I need some of that every day. One great idea for getting kids out everyday is a pet (dog). They would go outside everyday after school to play with it or walk it or scoop poop. It's like another sibling for Ben (but with a lot less sleepless nights). It would be a lot healthier than a kindle :) (Sorry, I'll let up after her birthday). Mom

LifeAtTheCircus.com said...

YES! I totally know what you mean and am quite guilty of not getting the circus crew out when it is cold, but man, one of those warm days comes along and we live outdoors and we are all instantly smiling. It is good for the soul!